Porting Skyrim mods to Skyrim Special Edition
This mini guide will show you how to port your Skyrim mods to Skyrim Special Edition (SSE). I am assuming that you know how to make mods for Skyrim and use the Creation Kit.
This is a work in progress. I will write down here any new findings, as for the time being I've only ported some mods adding NPCs.
- Creation Kit: available on Steam (Menu option View -> Tools and then select Creation Kit)
Porting Skyrim mods to SSE
Install the original Skyrim mod in the SSE folders
The easiest way of doing this is using Nexus Mod Manager.
- Launch Nexus Mod Manager for Skyrim Special Edition
- Click on the green arrow (Add Mod from File)
- Select the zip file containing your Skyrim mod
- If the Skyrim mod is packed in BSA format, first unpack the BSA, and then pack the esp file + the loose files into a zip file, as SSE cannot read the Skyrim BSA files
- Install the mod
The mod won't work in SSE right now, but you need to install it in the SSE folders for being able of editing it with the Creation Kit.
Open the mod in the SSE Creation Kit
- Launch the SSE Creation Kit
- Load the Skyrim esp file and set it as the Active file
- Change something, for example, the name of an item (don't change any ID), and change it back to the original name, so the CK things that your esp file has changed
- Save the esp file
This will save the esp file in a format that works fine with SSE. For NPCS, it also will create/update the facegen data (meshes and textures) of the NPCs added or modified by the mod. There is no need to use the CTRL+F4 keys to do that.
Now you can test the mod in game and see if it works as intended.
Pack the mod for SSE
To pack the mod for being used with Skyrim Special Edition:
- Use as a base the files of your mod for Skyrim
- Overwrite the Skyrim file with the new SSE file you just saved
- Overwrite the old facegen data for Skyrim with the new facegen data generated bwhen saving the esp file for SSE
And this should be it :)