Porting hairs to Fallout
This tutorial shows all the main steps you need to follow to port a hair from another game to Fallout 3.
If you crate a hair from scratch, apart from the steps explained here you will have to create the hair mesh, its UV map and its textures.
Note: If you are porting the hair to distribute it you must ask permission first to the original author of the hair, and always credit him for his work
Porting a hair to Fallout
The main steps to follow when porting hairs to Fallout are:
- Importing into Blender the Fallout head mesh and the hair mesh
- Modify the hair mesh to fit Fallout head mesh
- Export the hair mesh
- Modify the hair textures
- Adjust the hair mesh in NifSkope
- Create an egm file
- Add the hair to the game using the GECK
Importing into Blender the Fallout head mesh and the hair mesh
First step is to import the head mesh you want to work with. In Fallout there are several head meshes depending on the age and gender of the charaters (there is even a different head mesh for ghouls). Head meshes are usually located in the \Data\Meshes\characters\head\ folder.
The head meshes of player characters are:
- headhuman.nif: head mesh for male characters
- headfemale.nif: head mesh for female characters
Import the head mesh you want to adapt the hair for using the menu option File -> Import -> Netimmerse/Gamebyro (.nif)
- * The meshes and textures of the game are inside compressesd files with BSA format. To extract then you can use the "BSA Browser" utility that comes with Fallout Mod Manager.
- * If you cannot find that option it is because you haven't installed NifScripts. Follow the instructions given here: Installation of Blender to install everything you need.
Then import the hair mesh of the hair you want to port to Fallout using the same menu option (if it is a nif file) File -> Import -> Netimmerse/Gamebyro (.nif) or the option that corresponds to the format of the mesh you are importing.