Installation of 7-Zip
7-Zip is a file archiver with a high compression ratio and used heavily by the modding community to package their mods and save on precious bandwidth.
This tutorial will show you how to install and configure 7-Zip.
These instructions were written at the time of 7-Zip 16.02.
- For 32-bit operating systems, download and run the x86 installation executable. For 64-bit operating systems, download and run the x64 installation executable.
- Destination folder - Choose the folder on your computer that you want to install 7-Zip to.
- Ready to Install - Click Install to copy the files to the destination folder.
- Setup Complete - Click Close
NOTE: This process will configure Windows to automatically use 7-Zip if you double-click on an archive.
- Start the 7-Zip File Manager (might need to right-click and "run as administrator")
- Open "Tools -> Options" in the menu bar
- Under the "System" tab, assign .7z, .rar and .zip to either All Users or your current user, then click Apply and OK
- Close the 7-Zip File Manager
- Right-click on any small file on your computer and select 7-Zip -> Add to archive...
- Add to Archive - Set the following and click OK:
- Archive Format: 7z
- Compression Level: Ultra
- Compression Method: LZMA2
- Delete the .7z archive file you just created. 7-Zip remembers the last setting you used.
- The settings provided are what we feel to be optimal for small archives.