Difference between revisions of "Editing Item Stats"
(Created page with " Making small edits to mods (or the game itself) such as weapon damage, or crit chance is fairly simple and can usually be done by editing a text file. All it takes is having...")
Revision as of 14:36, 14 August 2020
Making small edits to mods (or the game itself) such as weapon damage, or crit chance is fairly simple and can usually be done by editing a text file. All it takes is having the right tools installed to unpack (usually referred to as “uncook”) mod or game files to make these text files accessible.
- Download and install the latest version of the Official ModKit. You won’t be required to actually use the ModKit per se, but the unpacking tool we’re going to use requires it.
- Download and install xTcModKit. Technically, you can cook and uncook mods using the official ModKit, though you might find xTcModkit’s interface easier to use.
- Launch xTcModKit and point it to your Witcher 3 directory and the directory you have installed the Official ModKit in.
- Specify a “Cook Path” and “Uncook Path” - these are the folders the mods/fo;es you unpack or pack will be put into. Make sure you have enough disk space as uncooked assets can take up a lot of space.
Once xTcModKit is set up, all we need to do is uncook (i.e. unpack) a mod that adds new items with stats or changes existing stats, then make the changes we want by editing text files, and then cook (i.e. re-pack) the mod.
As an example, we're going to be modifying the troll trophy's stats by downloading and unpacking the mod Better Trophies.
- Download the mod Better Trophies and install it with Vortex or manually drag and drop it into your mods folder.
- Open xTcModKit and drag and drop the mod folder (modBetterTrophies2_0) into the "Uncooking" zone where it says "Drag and Drop the mod/s you like to uncook here."