Making a non-replacing mod for custom models/model replacing mods
From Nexus Wiki
- Extract the mod files to your Fallout directory.
- Find the model item (in Meshes/..) and rename it:
- e.g. Helmet.nif to HelmetSHOJOFIX.nif
- Get FO3Edit
Creating the ESP file
- Start FO3Edit and tick the ESP/ESM file containing the item.
- Find and right click the item, click "Copy as new record into...".
- Rename or append to the original item name.
- Tick "<new file>". Click OK.
- Type in a descriptive filename, then click OK.
- Click YES.
- Find the new ESP you have just created and left-click on the item.
Take down the item number (in the FormID column on the left).
In the frame on the right, look for Male/Female Biped Model. Right click the "MODL - Model Filename" and click Edit. Change the model filename to the modded version (the renamed file from Preparation step 2). Edit the MODL entry for Male/Female as well, if applicable.
Edit "FULL - Name". This is displayed in-game as the item name.